Re: reputation vs. reputation?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 07:03:46 -0700

Bryan wondered

> My tribe mates were all color coded as liking me. My
> clan reputation was excellent (top of the kingly
> scale), and yet, periodically during events my ring
> would tell me that our tribe mates hated us and would
> do the opposite of whatever we suggested (or words to
> that effect). They were right, too--that is exactly
> what happened a couple of times.
>
> So apparently they liked us but didn't like us? Or
> did crazy ring members and random chance combine to
> give a mis-leading impression?

As you've probably noticed, relations are critical in KoDP, and so they're modeled in more detail than some other factors. As Martin points out, in addition to tracking favors, the game also tracks values best described as the attitude of the leadership and of the people. All this is summarized in the color coding (which obviously has to leave a lot out).

You're probably seeing the difference between how clans treat you as a clan, and how they treat you as a tribe-mate. (You might have a drinking buddy who's fun to hang out and watch TV with, but would make a lousy co-worker.) In tribal matters, the basic friendship is often less important than history as a tribe.

> Since we became tribal king
> the TRIBAL mood has been slipping.....does anyone have
> any good tips on how to improve TRIBE mood?

As a new tribe, there aren't as many opportunities to act together as a tribe. Using the Chalana Arroy quest to "Heal a rift within the tribe" or the tribe quest to "Improve the mood of the tribe" are obvious ways.