Tricksters and Thralls

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 21:40:16 +1000

Heys folks

TRICKSTER Kaj Sotala <Tspro_at_...>:
> 1. Has anyone ever had a situation where you'r ring trickster
> actually gives you some *good* advice?

Frrrr sure. I mean, there's got to be *some* reason we've kept them on the Lightbringers' Ring these last thousand generations. No change is possible without trickster. I've had some notable success with Eurmali: they're effective against the rubble runners frr instance (as much as anything is), and given the extraordinary skills some can build, Pip and I have at times (sucessfully) trusted them to lead raids and even trade expeditions. It seems to help if they're personally obligated to the clan chieftain; if for instance you've just spent money paying off your Eurmali's desecration of the local Earth temple, or if (gasp!) you've sacrificed on the clan's behalf to Eurmal. However, such loyalty won't last more than a year or two. And if you take a fall with a trickster, it usually seems to be a *hard* one.

In wider Gloranthan exploration, I've always followed two rules when dealing with Eurmali:

  1. Never be afraid to kiss the trickster.
  2. Always wash your mouth afterward. (And check your valuables).

And never in a million years would I have thought of sending an Eurmali on a humakti heroquest. Now *there's* an easter egg for you ....

THRALL-CHILDREN
> From: "Niki Karras" <NKarras_at_...>
> Subject: Thrall Children
>
> If thrall's children are free, who raises them? Are they raised as thralls
> and then freed at adulthood, or are they raised away from their thrall
> parents? Can a thrall marry a free person?

This is going beyond the game a little, and some of the finer mechanics of Orlanthi social life are presently being worked out for an upcoming Hero Wars (plug plug - like the software? try the wetware!) publication, but here's a little speculation on my part.

There are two main types of thrall in Heortling society: war thralls and debt slaves. Children are raised free (though they would have to 'earn', their keep from an early age, and get all the boring, filthy and back-breaking jobs). Most children are raised communally in bloodline lodges that are shared by several generations of extended family, servants and labourers, and thralls. Only an excessively cruel clan (and there are certainly some of those ) would try an interfere in the sacred bonds between parents and child. I doubt if marriage to a thrall would ever occur without the thrall being freed first. However, few things are 'forbidden' or 'immoral' as such in the Heortling ethos, you just have to show your actions serve the good of the clan and take responsibility for the consequences.

Wow... that LM quest *does* work.

John

nysalor_at_...                   John Hughes
johnp.hughes_at_...

From a noble stead was nurtured,

   From a bloodline true and watchful;
Where the rain whispered its secrets,