Re: and the poor get poorer

From: bjm10_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 13:14:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Bryan Thexton wrote:

> Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I find forging trade routes is
> one of the more challenging things to do. In this game we were
> rejected twice before we finally set up a second route, and then we
> had our first route dry up a few seasons later. This is with a chief
> trader with renowned bargaining, and two points of magic in trading.

How generous are you with gifts? Wealth exists to be thrown around, not hoarded.

> I've had similar experiences in earlier games. Simply put, setting
> up trade routes is *hard.* And since each attempt takes an envoy and

It's never been hard for me. Of course, I also believe that surplus exists to be thrown around, not hoarded.

> a number of thanes away for a seasons or more, and we also need
> thanes to protect exploration missions, we can normally only manage
> one attempt a year.

Thanes? I get so many thanes that I have to figure out ways for them to get slaughtered, I mean heroically give their all.

> I'm not saying its impossible, but when you are in a position where
> you can't afford to build shrines, can't afford to give gifts, and
> can't afford to hire thanes, it does make for a long slow road up out
> of the troubles. For players who want their clan to thrive quickly,
> they may want to try another option, is all I was trying to say.

I have not had problems getting a clan to thrive quickly when it was dragon-loving.