Re: Digest Number 121

From: David Short <David.short_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:12:15 -0400

At 10:10 AM 05/25/2000 +0000, you wrote:
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:35:51 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Christian Beijner <d88-cbr_at_...>
>Subject: : Bad event randomizer in 1.4?
>
>Hi all.
>After a hiatus on the KODP playing I started a game and discovered something
>strange. During 6 years of play, actually during the last 3 years, I got the
>"So and so arriors raided us, driving off a small herd of cattle before"
>event no less than 7 times. Is the event randomizer bad, or is there
something
>with my clan that invites excessive cattle raids, my tula is pretty large,

Hmmm. There is an event screen showing several raiding thanes and you are given several selections ranging from raid them hard to talk it out to swallow the loss. This is not your normal "we lost X cows to the y" screen or combat in response to a raid.

FWIW I went many games without seeing this event screen at all. Towards the end of my 130+ year game I saw this message several times in a row. I'm not why or what the difference is between this and a normal cattle raid.

>Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:44:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>Subject: quests: helpers vs. gods
>
>On the related Issaries and Lhankor My quests, you
>have the option of bringing helpers from your clan or
>contacting the gods directly.
>
>Has anyone identified any disadvantages to contacting
>the gods directly?

advantage, you skip a few screens in the quest. I've never had Storm Bull refuse come, but several times the other two gods have refused to cooperate. Of course your helpers have to actually be able to help. I agree that as long as Storm Bull is good in combat, cult does not seem to be an issue.

dfs