Re: the recent discussion......

From: Barry Brenesal <jaspire_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:12:28 -0000

> Folks, may I suggest that we all take a hint from
> Issaries and do our best to keep our tongues (or
> fingertips) silver, and to keep hate (or at least
> intollerance) and suspicion off the list?

Or, at the very least, flame phrases. My own preference on several other lists, when I disagree with somebody, is "I respectfully suggest that..." followed by a diplomatic statement of my own perspective on the area of contention. I leave out any and all barked commands to my colleagues, and I never reflect upon the legality of their parentage, or the species of their mothers. At least, not in print; for I am under no illusions that they may have grounds for reflecting in a similar fashion about me. <g>

I've found that clan mood tends to get grimmer the more concentrated the population is in whatever area you control. One can start off with the maximum space and increase it by conquering neighbors, but this is a temporary palliative. You can always convert farmers and hunters in to thanes to free up more acreage, but you still have to feed thanes; and the equation for food/cattle/population/mood becomes more dicey as you grown beyond comfortable limits. Purely my point of view.