Re: Seven Different Deities

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

I think it is a well established principle that a mythologically correct ring should represent the light bringers as well as possible, although who represents the no longer existing/known members I'm not sure.

I think in most of the Runequest era material, heroquesting was viewed somewhat more as the activity of independant hero's than something a clan would attempt regularly, so I don't think the issue was probably discussed much.

However when you combine clan supported heroquests with the concept of representing the lightbringers, the 7-differing ring members makes sense. Of course, this is based on Orlanthi myth, whether the lightbringers encompassed some broader priciple I'm not sure (although the 7 mothers of the Red Goddess may suggest that they did, but then again maybe the 7 mothers just stole and perverted a lot of Orlanthi ideas). The farther afield, mythologically speaking, you go from Orlanthi the more this might vary. i.e. whether it would work the same way amongst trolls is a really good question.

--Bryan
--- philip.hibbs_at_... wrote:

> Where does the general principle of "seven different
> deities makes
> HeroQuesting easier" come from? Was this invented
> for KoDP, or is it a
> well-established Gloranthan principle?
>
> Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/
> Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let
> alone those of any organisations, nations, species,
> or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get Yahoo! Mail � Free email you can access from anywhere! http://mail.yahoo.com/