Re: Sigh. Troubles galore.

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 12:22:48 -0400

David Short wrote:

> First of all, before anyone gets there ire up, let me say...
> I really, really like this game. I've spent way to much time
> playing it. I really admire the work put into the game
> and find a#'s method intrigueing and interesting and look
> forward to whatever they decide to do next with thier
> technology.

Yes, its niftyquirky.

> that said.
>
> I've won several long games of KODP on the easy and
> the medium level. For some time now I've been trying to
> win a long game on the hard level. To date I've been
> not managed the trick.

Hard took me several months to deal with.

> In my first serious attempt my clan asked to
> join the Colymar in our second year in Dragon
> pass. To our shock they accepted us. Eventually we

Wow. I'm shocked. I've never seen that happen so soon. And its a bit of a two edged sword.

> stabalized our place in the pass and did all the
> heroquests and became king of our tribe. 150 years
> later with no hint of the end game I gave up.

Yes, you MUST found your own Tribe. I think that's hinted at pretty heavily in the rules amd startup.

> In my second serious attempt, we built a tribe
> and just as we finished our last heroquest the
> tribe dissolved. Faced with a choice we decided

Why did the tribe dissolve? Giving gifts to the other members of the tribes is good. And having lower, less onourus tribal obligations for each tribe is good too.

> to join another tribe. I spent another several
> years at this game and never saw the screen
> describing the need for a new king. Looking
> at the Tribe screen it tells me the tribe has
> no current king.

Hmm. Wierd. That does sound like a bug -- have you downloaded the latest patches from A-sharp?

I tend to save every year or so. But I'm not really a purist.

> sigh. I've put a good bit of time into
> each of these games. I'm not sure if I screwed
> up somehow and just didn't recognize it or
> if I've run into bugs or if either of these games
> are still winnable and I've just given up too soon.

Hope this helps.

Jeff