Re: KoDP & Koei; Set encounters; History Filter

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:19:03 -0700

Timi wrote

> Has anyone else noticed the similarities with few KOEI games as
> Genghis Khan II and the great Romance of the 3 Kingdoms series.
>
> I wonder if the GK2 has been giving any inspiration when
> developing the Kodp. It would not be any shame to Kodp if it would
> turn out so...

I have never played any Koei game. As for the other principal designers: I suspect Greg Stafford has; I suspect Robin Laws has not.

My biggest influence on KoDP was probably Castles, where the idea for the crisis management scenes comes from.

To some degree, KoDP is a reaction to what I *didn't* like about other computer games.

Bryan

> I'm familiar with set encounters in the following areas

Most of the exploration areas have only one illustrated encounter, but do have multiple other results if you explore them again.

Thomas

> Now, if you could combine KoDP with Myth, now that would be something...

That was my thinking. We were sort of waiting for someone else to fund the tactical sub-game...

Phil

> Ever been playing a game of KoDP, and in the middle of an event,
> thought "Blue Spruce? Who are they? Weren't they the ones that ...
> no, I can't remember - should I be polite to them, or do we dislike them?

My apologies for removing the search feature from the saga; it was in the original design. And my thanks for writing a script to add it!

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.