Re: other gloranthan computer games

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 07:49:55 -0700

Ian Cooper

> As a bit of fun I was wondering what ideas people might have for
> other computer games set in Glorantha. For the purposes of creating
> some discussion I'm not so interested in a discussion of the
> commercial viability of such projects as what you think is creatively
> possible, funny etc.

When Sandy Petersen worked at id, the idea of Doom set in Dorastor certainly was bandied about (though not to my knowledge by anyone in the game industry).

At one time, there was a Dragon Pass (the military boardgame) being converted; I don't think it was ever finished.

Lots of people have suggested a Praxian variant of KoDP.

> For example Glorantha could definetely produce a Baldurs Gate/Diablo?
> Poll of Radiance type game. How about Big Rubble - The Ruins of
> Pavis - climb the Blind King's Hill, navigate the waters of the
> Puzzle canal, cross the Troll Bridge. Based on the HW rules (strikes
> me they would make quite the game quite simple to implement), state-
> of the art graphics etc.

I have notes for a board game set in Peloria just after the Great Darkness, where you go around awakening gods. Not sure how easily it could be adapted for the computer.

And some ideas for a God Learner game that could only be implemented on a computer.

> and more processor intensive as it is real-time. Now if it was possible
> to license the BG engine for a Gloranthan game....but that would be
> sacrilige as Glorantha is based upon the RQ/HQ system, whereas BG is
> based upon the unvieldy AD&D system.

Most people who license engines do so with the expectation that they will make significant technical -- and genre -- changes.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.