Re: More on Marriage

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:38:47 -0800

> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:36:37 -0700
> From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
> Subject: Re: More on Marriage

<cross-posted to KoDP list - discussion from Glorantha list on marriages inside/outside Heortling clans>

> Thomas McVey wrote
>
> >If women always marry outside the clan, wouldn't there then be a
> >disincentive for the clan to put a bunch of resources into educating
> >them or training them?
>
> I think your has nothing to do with what clan women belong to, but
> rather where they end up living -- a highly educated lawspeaker who
> lives two valleys over isn't much use.

Yep, but my issue is with the resources expended. Somebody had to have invested in said lawspeaker's education, with the most likely being their clan. Even if they were educated by a lawspeaker in a nearby clan, there'd be debts and obligations incurred to compensate.

> >So, wouldn't this suggest that there are at least *some* intra-clan marriages?
>
> It might explain why there are multiple marriage patterns (e.g. under-husband).

Mmm.

Question on KoDP:
Was introduction/removal of nobles through marriage not implemented in KoDP because of hassles with programming, or because it disrupted the flow of the game? (e.g. Beta-testers going nuts when their Vingan/Issarian/whoever decides to shack up with another clan).

(Would actually be a nice way of getting rid of surplus useless nobles, to be honest, rather than making them "explore" near Skyfall Lake).

"That's not the normal woad, is it, it's kind of red, and smells of chili and tomatoes?"
"It's a magical marinade - err, I mean it's a special enchanted balm, to make Cragspider like you more, if you should meat, err, meet her. Should help with digestion, too."
"Gee, it's good that the clan is taking such good care of me." "Yup. And just to make sure you're safe, we'll send you with only 1 weaponthane and 3 footmen. Wouldn't want you to be too conspicuous now."

Tom