Re: escorts and disappearing treasures

From: James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey <jscm_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:59:30 -0500

>Quoting Joshua Mosher <joshua.mosher_at_...>:
>
> > I don't have much trouble with bandits either, using 6 thanes and 5
> > warriors. I prefer emphasizing thanes because that way you can
> > recruit even more while they're out exploring. This is a great way to
> > beef up your army.
>
> Sure, but you also spend more time telling the lazy weaponthanes to get
>back to their patrols. Besides, there's a limit to the proportion of your
>clan
>that can be thanes before the people start grumbling about the 'parasites'
>that
>live off their labor--including you.
>
> Dave "Vive la revolution" Harper

Even without using the recruiting opportunity, we tend to send lots of thanes and few carls, because most of our exploring is done in Sea and Earth seasons. Thus, sending few carls maximizes the harvest, and since 1 thane = 5 carls, removing the carls doesn't seem to compromise security too much. When we put 5 or 6 thanes on a trading/diplomatic/exploration party, it usually kills the bandits.

Possible spoiler below....

Has anyone ever had any success in retrieval of the "your magic artifact that went mysteriously missing in the night"? Every party we've ever sent to get it disappears without a trace. Is posting a reward more effective, or should we figure that the Treasured Snark was easy-come, easy-go?

James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey
jscm_at_...