Re: Re: disappearing treasures/regalia; sheep; Raven Banner

From: dharper_at_...
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:53:40 -0500 (EST)

Quoting David Dunham <david_at_...>:

> Yup, sometimes divinations are correct :-)

Tease.

> I've never run out of sheep in a game I've won. Yes, blessings are
> good, but you don't need to have every temple built to win the game.
>
> (I know nobody believes this...)

     I've never run out of sheep, but I have noticed a definite trend towards them going down in the games I've played without the patch. Specifically, after building a mere handful of shrines, the news would always be five or six fewer sheep than the year before. Which isn't so bad - I figured my traders could always balance it out, although I'd never have enough sheep to consider slaughtering them.

     A few years into this stable pattern, my sheep caught a sickness and 300 (of 1200) died. At this point, I figured it was only going to get worse...that's the problem, I think.

     Actually, even in games with thousands of sheep and over 1,000 people, I don't build many temples; great temples especially don't seem worth it except in rare cases (such as having the Silver Tongue). I usually end up with temples only to Humakt, Issaries, Orlanth, Elmal, and sometimes Lhankor Mhy, and usually no great temples at all - which by itself still implies the slaughter of hundreds of animals a year. On the other hand, I'll build shrines to just about every deity in existence - they're cheap, they give a variety of different effects and they appear to appease the gods.

> >What I don't understand is what the regalia are, and what they do, if
> >they're not treasures. Will you lose status if you don't get them back?
> >Magic? Your ancestors will be displeased? What?
>
> They are various venerated objects. Could be actual items owned by
> the clan founder, magic items no one remembers how to use, things of
> historic value (the door-pillars from the first clan hall), etc. Or
> just items that bring a little luck (note that clan magic goes down
> when the regalia is lost).

     Thank you, David. They're not mentioned anywhere that I can find, and so I kept wondering if it meant that they had stolen treasures or not. I'm increasingly finding the world of Glorantha to be an interesting setting.

     Dave

This mail sent via Golden Triangle Web-Mail http://www.golden.net