Evil law-speaker?

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:10:01 -0800 (PST)

Normally I don't try and try and try over again on a heroquest until I succeed.

This time, however, I *knew* I should be able to succeed at the Issaries quest. We had two magic in quests, an Issaries quester with renowned bargaining and excellent magic (and the dragon newt armor), we had that scarf that helps when we do quests to the lightbringers, we'd recently sacrificied to Issaries, sent trade missions, sent diplomatic missions to both give and ask, and had explored. Heck, we even had our own lankhor my and storm bull worhippers to sent along. But it just wouldn't work.

Every time it failed I go back to before we started it, and play another turn, trying to do ever more Issarian things. I kept thinking that there had to be something that was missing. First time through lankhor my didn't have any useful advice. Next time our quester knew she'd given the right choice at the first station, but couldn't keep the magic in her head and fell out of the hero plain. Next time again lankor my's advice wasn't there. next time it failed again at the first station. At this point I just went back and tried the quest from the same point about three more times, and met with failure every time. We never had trouble killing the chaos monster, it was always at the first station, or asking lankhor my for help.

Finally, yesterday, I gave up. Today I tried it over, right from the sacred time, and strolled through it no problem. The only difference was that we contacted the gods directly instead of bringing along our own helpers.

Then about a season later we discover that the lankhor my worshipper in question--who was also our lawspeaker--had murdered the four children of the chief of a neighbouring clan, specifically to start a war. We swiftly outlawed him (fortunately we had a full sized spare lawspeaker in the trunk so it didn't take us long to get back on the road again).

So now I'm thinking that maybe the lankor my worshipper was somehow secretly sabotaging the quest?

Has anyone seen something equally suspicious?

--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices. http://auctions.yahoo.com/