Re: Absent minded god-talkers?

From: dharper_at_...
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:00:13 -0500 (EST)

Quoting James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey <jscm_at_...>:

> A Glorantha-clueless question: the obvious cognate of "god-talker" is
> "priest". Is the exclusive implication of this correct? Are god-talkers
> special people, or are all the worshippers of a given god god-talkers for
> that god?

In order of status:

Thralls = Slaves or Serfs - probably closer to the latter, since the children of Thralls are free.

Carls = Shepherds who tend the flocks: pigs (lowest), sheep (low), cattle (high), and horses (highest).

Cottars = Farmers (comes from 'Cottagers', farmers with a small plot of land).

Thanes/Weaponthanes = Full-time warriors who have their own horse, armor, and weapons, and spend much of their time training. They are rarely required to perform other duties. The Orlanthi equivalent of a household knight.

God-Talkers/Nobles = The leaders of the clan, from which are chosen the chieftain, lawspeaker, war leader, poet, clan trader, and other prestigious positions. These people are also the most strongly magical - in Orlanthi society the only acceptable form of magic is worship of the gods. There appears to be other kinds of magic such as Sorcery and Spirit-talking, but I don't know much about either. All your nobles have a close, personal relationship with the gods, so they count as god-speakers; it means they can speak for the god to their clan.

Some other comments:

Warriors = See "Fyrd".

Fyrd = Militia, made up of anybody who can hold a weapon. Since the fyrd is called when enemies appear (or for special missions such as exploring or guarding caravans), they usually grab a weapon and shield and, if time permits, may even be able to get into some armor - but most will be armorless or poorly armored, and although they do fight, aren't well trained and fight on foot. They are led by the thanes.

     Dave

This mail sent via Golden Triangle Web-Mail http://www.golden.net