Re: Fantastic, though limited, leaders

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:07:23 -0800 (PST)

I've been playing the thing for about a year now and am still enjoying it--I hope you have as much fun!

> Anyway, my questions are as follows:
>
> Is there any way, any at all, to encourage the
> development of leaders of
> specific
> cults?

No, because people are called to the gods, not the other way around. This question is akin to asking "Is there any way I can make sure that our nobles will have children who are honor bound fighters, pacificists, or whatever.

One of the most frustating elements of the
> games I've played is
> my inability
> to replace certain god-talkers, no matter how I
> arrange temples and
> such.

The temples don't affect what cults your nobles will worship, just how fast they improve (once you are assigning heroes magic). Mind you, you don't really *need* people from any given cult. Yes, certain things are easier, but "There is always another way." So if you don't have an Uraldan it is harder to keep your herds up. You could become a peace clan, or run more cattle raids, or pick up any one of a few treasures, or send someone through the Uralda heroquest to improve the people's cow knowledge, or....

In one
> game, I maintained a great temple to Humakt for
> about sixty years,
> without ever
> finding a single Humakti in the crop of leaders.

Why the fixation on Humakti? Aside from the Humakt heroquest they don't have any special bonus compared to any other war god worshipper. And followers of other gods can perform the humakt quest. In fact, this is one of the easier ones to compensate for, as you can send good warriors on the Elmal or Orlanth and Aroka quest (whichever is appropriate) to build up their combat first.

> (Who the heck does the
> High Holy
> Day ceremonies? Joe Blow the Orlanthi guard, back
> from guarding the
> Landing Room in
> the Orlanth temple?)

Remember, you only see the clan nobles. There are hundreds of other people. some of the thanes are probably humakti.

> Secondly, do the humming sorcerous implements do
> anything? For the first
> time, I
> managed to defeat those three soul-empty emmisaries
> from the Pharaoh,
> and now I
> don't know what to do with their swag.

As far as I can tell, usually they sit there and hum, doing nothing. Once, after years of bad luck, I did a divination and discovered they were cursed. Darned hard they were to get rid of....finally had to do the Issaries heroquest and give it to the Digging Sticks People (and they wonder why their life is so hard!).

--Bryan

Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/