horse bug

From: Martin Crim <martincrim_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:51:48 -0500

At the point where I abandoned my first Ironman game, I had -3 (that's negative 3) horses. Neat trick, that. I had had plenty of horses until very near the end, but the number dropped precipitously for no apparent reason in the last couple years. I did a divination for curses, but my ancestors were only aware that the vampire guy had caused my land to be forever swampy. What's up with the negative horses?

SPOILER SPACE I figured I was bound to lose (why isn't there a "disband clan" option?) due to too few cows, no pigs, too few sheep, not enough weaponthanes, not enough goods (no Orlanth shrine--what determines which shrine doesn't get maintained?), the aforementioned negative horses, and a 1 in 6 success rate with heroquests, and 3 feuds, and an astounding string of bad luck creating all this, and unhappy people (who can blame them?), so I did something rash.

Sir Ethilrist came to visit. First time I'd had that encounter. One of the options is to ask his aid in raiding. I took it. "Are you sure? The results will not be at all what you expect. Do you want to be known as the clan that loosed Sir Ethilrist on a raid?" "Yes, that is how we want to be known." "Then which clan do you wish us to raid?" I picked the Grey Foxes, one of the clans I was feuding with.

You don't get a raid screen, just a message board that says, paraphrasing, "Sir Ethilrist and his weaponthanes attack the Grey Foxes, kill every one of their warriors, turn every carl and cottar into a thrall, kill every cow, sheep, pig, and horse for food for their unholy steeds, and tear down all the temples, magically ruining them, and curse the land so that it can never again grow food."

Coooool.

Except...

I checked the map screen. Except for my two allies, every clan name was a deep shade of red, just this side of a feud with me. The Grey Foxes were gone, but so (assuming my clan could even survive the next few years) was my chance of uniting the clans, or even forming a tribe.

--Matt