Re: Games Domain

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:40:13 -0000

> > They're responsible, intelligent individuals, who do a reasonably
> > good job--or so I thought, fool that I am--at examining new
products
> > within a given field and issuing honest, thoughtful opinions.

The reviews and topics on Gamespot have a very distinct 'big company' bias as can be seen by even the most causal viewing of the site. And, sadly, this impression continues when one examines the site in greater detail, with little or no material that is not directly of interest to larger interests. A correlation between the advertizing banners and the various reviews published would be fascinating reading.

Several people of my acquaintance have requested that there be more reviews or attention paid to indie games. However, this is clearly not the policy of Gamespot or its advertizers.

> Any regular reader of Gamespot has all the information required to
form
> a useful opinion of whether or not they have biases or deficiencies.
> Personal knowledge of the staff is neither useful nor required.
>
> No one, to my knowledge, is saying that all Gamespot staffers are
> evil; Gamespot's editorial biases, on the other hand, are readily
> apparent upon slight acquaintance with the site.
>
> Paul E.

Thank you, Paul. This was said more eloquently than I could have.

Jeff