Re: Digest Number 277

From: jaspire_at_...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:27:05 -0000

I wrote:

> > And KoDP frankly looks/feels better than some of the RTS games
last
> > year, because the RTS genre is being pumped hard to keep its
> > technology on the fast track. A game like Earth 2150, with its 3D
> > playing field, virtually consigns 2D RTS games to the cut-out bin.
> > KoDP doesn't have to worry about that.

David the Developer (and a damn fine one) responded:

> I'm glad someone appreciates this design decision!

Per our discussion at the time of my review, David, I do think very limited animation per screen would have been a positive design feature from the POV of producers like Interplay, Talonsoft, or Strategy First. I'm not inclined to think that it would have had a significant impact on the audience, however, because your game is certainly attractive enough to appeal to the non-twitch crowd.

For what it's worth, KoDP isn't the only game caught in this bind. Another good developer, Frog City, has an excellent game I've seen in pre-alpha stage that they've tried to market for support. In one place they were turned down because the chief accountant said, simply, "Games that involve Greek gods don't sell." In another, the VP they spoke with only responded to their elaborate pitch by asking if they were planning a console version.

The strangleholds of producers and retail chains on the market are enormous. But have you given thought to joining any other loosely knit Internet-based development consortiums for the release of games? I've seen a couple out there, and their games (such as Combat Mission) are getting a reasonably good degree of coverage.

Barry Brenesal