Re: Re: publishing

From: Christian Beijner <d88-cbr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:27:13 +0200

David Dunham wrote:

> Barry
>
> > I do think very
> > limited animation per screen would have been a positive design
> > feature from the POV of producers like Interplay, Talonsoft, or
> > Strategy First.
>
> Impossible to say for sure, but if we'd done animated battles, they
> still might have said "no," in which case we would have bumped the
> budget enough that our funding wouldn't have been enough to complete
> the game.

I actually think this way looks better, it gives an "artwork" as opposed to "computer art" feel to the game.

> > have you given thought to joining any other loosely
> > knit Internet-based development consortiums for the release of
> > games?
>
> Such as Drengin.net in particular? Sure, but it would require that we
> had a game suitable for Internet release. I don't consider KoDP at
> 450 MB (maybe half that compressed) appropriate as a downloadable
> game.

Me neither. I think those that do think a download is possible have fast and stable lines. I cannot begin to tell about the problems I have had with some patches at a few MBs. Connection breaks or patch is corrupted on the server or .... So you wait and wait and get a faulty file. With a CD I know if something is wrong, I can try cleaning the surface, and if that does not help I can return it. With a download the possible errors are many and the download time horrendous. Not to mention I do not have 400 MB free anywhere to store a download file. If KODP had been a download I would not have bought it, in fact if the demo had not been on a CD (MacFormat I think) I would not have played it at all. As for a manual, I love the manual, and I want one for my favourite games, not to mention the excellent quick sheet. I bought Master of Orion 2 and got no manual just an text file, and I am keeping my eye on the copy left in the store that contains a manual. One of the reasons that particular game had no manual is that they made a european reissue "Not for sale in the USA", which makes it a non-import. No manual, no european printing.