Re: Re: Payback is.......next to impossible?

From: Christian Beijner <d88-cbr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:34:10 +0200

jaspire_at_... wrote:

> > --- jaspire_at_h... wrote:
> > .
> > >
> > > No offense meant, but why would you want to repay
> > > all those favors?
>
> Bryan respondeth:
>
> > I have no problem owing some favors to some other
> > clans, but owing favors, possibly multiple favores, to
> > everyone in the tribe I can't imagine is healthy. I'd
> > think we'd develop a reputation as sponges that borrow
> > from everyone else far faster than they needed things
> > from us.
>
> Not to all the tribes, surely, but only to a small handful; while in
> turn, you are owed a roughly equal number. I found, for instance,
> that when I owed favors and paid them off in excess, my reputation
> increased, both with that group, and in general. Lacking the
> opportunity to owe, I would have no ability to show my generosity, an
> important trait of leaders.

You can always give gifts. I do not know if it is a good idea or not, but when my clan has the tribal king/queen, every other year I select magic for diplomacy and send gifts to 2-4 clans from the list of tribal members and favours owed. Remember that everytime you use tribal help in heroquest, you will owe favours and these favours stack up. It can take several missions to remove favours from tribal mates that you owe such stacked favours. I imagine that gifts help whether or not they cancel favours owed.