Why KoDP is not popular?

From: Gargantua <gargantua_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:38:23 +0000

Greetings,
This is my first post here.
I've been playing KoDP only a month, and this is the second time I am shocked by a PC game intelligence ( Brian Reynlods' Alpha Centuari is the only game of this class I can think of). In fact I think KoDP is the first fresh idea in gaming since Civ. However, unlike Civ, SMAC etc, KoDP remains largely unknown. My quesiton is :why? What happened? There aren't even reviews or any info on large gaming sites like Gamespot, Avault etc. I myself accidentally found out about it on EU forum (http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/index.php ). Although EU is a great game on its own, I find KoDP much more involving and non-trivial experience. And now compare their forum and this board: 13,400 members vs. 222. Another example is Apolyton.net site. They had great influence on Civ gaming in general. (Yes,I understand direct comparison is not quite smart thing to do, but it does provide general picture). Anyway, I do think KoDP can be as popular as Civ, provided better 'advertising',better website and appropriate forum. That could make KoDP2 reality.. Thoughts?