Re: web sequel

From: Alexander G. M. Smith <agmsmith_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:42:36 -0500 EST

Chris Lemens wrote on Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:59:14 -0800 (PST):
> [...] The support issues are much worse,
> so David would have to hire personnel; he'd need to
> sign up with a co-hosting facility (for both
> production and billing); blah, blah, blah.

Contract out that sort of stuff. GameSpy (since I happened to be involved with using their stuff this summer) has a lot of the infrastructure in place and will rent it out. Though I don't know how much they charge for their game hosting services (plus the software kits for interfacing to the game code and other things they supply for tracking users), I'd expect it to be a lot less than starting your own from nothing. There are other game sites out there that may also be a good fit for the service of tracking users and subscriptions.