Re: Re: Web Based Sequel / Expansion

From: KentCave <kentcave_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 18:11:46 +0700

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:26:21 -0500 EST
> From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Web Based Sequel / Expansion
>
> David Dunham wrote on Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:43:21 -0800:
> > Just because something's technically possible (and I'm not sure how
> > practical it would be, given the lag for all the HTTP) doesn't mean
> > it make sense. I sure don't want to invest in the servers and
> > development.
>
> It would be technically practical, the lag isn't that a big problem
> in KoDP (the user would be happy to receive a new JPEG painting!).
> Plus story lines could be added over time to keep the subscribers
> interested (people like you-know-who who have to see every
> treasure :-)). Once the server and billing system is in place,
> adding new content would be a lot easier than other games - more
> of a writing exercise and a painting or two rather than a 3D model
> and environment making factory (which often starts from pencil
> drawings anyway).
>
> Unfortunately you can't make it multiplayer, unless you have
> a real Ring. But that would be a different game.
>
> - Alex

Yeah, lag has not been of major factor for years. I can personally vouch for that fact, seeing that I switch from playing Ultima Online and EverQuest by godly cable connection to a horrible 32k modem dial-up connection.

Most folks will swear that they never notice any speed-difference at all. In fact when I'm playing Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 online, the speed is much improved than my single-player section. I can never figure out why, but some insist they speed up things by running most programs at server-side rather than client-side.

In EverQuest, I can safely survive a dragon raid, while most folks using cable in america will be booted out of server constantly. In fact, I beat most americans in placing a Large Tower in Trammel ice-isle of Pacific server on Ultima Online.

It might have been pure luck or probably a calculable factor. Perhaps net connection in the eastern part of the world has not gone too mainstream, and hence never been too badly clogged-up. The speed difference will be greatly noticeable from the time those office surfers left work and those net cafes closed shop. After midnite, its all you can eat buffet.. ziiiiiiip.

I am sure David have put a lot of thought into this, and in fact had almost give the go to the project. Seeing that KoDP is featured in Monkey-Byte and many games there are more graphic and sound-heavy. The huge database has always been a deterrent, but if those are stored online.. and players are only shown whats relevant at a specific point of the game, then.. a problem it has become not (just like Yoda proclaims =)

"There is always another way"

PS He just need more prodding and cajoling to boost the confidence, just like all leaders eventually became. Its too humane.