Re: Digest Number 428

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:46:21 +0000 (GMT)

Darin Christensen
>>One way to help promote KoDP would be for those of
us who participate in the groups for games such as civilization, AC, EU, Space Empires, Stars!, VGA Planets, Uncommon Valor, Dominions, etc. (those where graphics are less important that strategy and/or story), to work positive references (and links) to KODP into those listserves.<<

Heartily agreed, IMO word-of-mouth - viral marketing campaigns have grown in significance with the Internet and the 'wired' status of many gamers and are one of the best ways of 'promoting' a game. Regular discussion of the game on a BBS where those who play similar games already participate should help sales. Discussion of the game on rpg sites, like the tangecy forum on rpg.net would also help shift units. the more people are aware of a product and the more their appears to be a 'buzz' about it, the more likely they will investigate. If you all decamped a discussion of KoDp tactics to tangency for one week, you would keep the thread visible, and generate considerable interest.

We are tyring to make sure Glorantha and Heroquest are visible in as many forums as possible, spreading the word on KoDP would help there.

I still believe that a lot of the popularity of RQ and Glorantha in the UK was due to Games Workshop supporing it with a regular column and articles in White Dwarf when they had UK printing rights. The regular exposure was one of the the things that led me to investigate what this game was all about.

Fielding remarks, in Tom Jones I think, that is is 'not enough to be virtuous, one must be seen to be virtuous'.

Take care,

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com