Re: marketing problems

From: KentCave <kentcave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:36:39 +0700

> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:25:12 -0800
> From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Why KoDP is not popular?
>
> David
>
> > I think David's attempt to market to non-computer gamers was a good
> > decision.
>
> It probably was, but there wasn't a lot of evidence that the ads in
> the fiction magazines did any good.
>
> What seemed to have the most impact were key reviews. The one in
> Pelit (which is an awesome magazine -- I think it's supposed to be
> the number 2 magazine among the young adult male market, after of
> course Donald Duck) rocketed us to a top 10 game in Finland. And
> there was an online review that gave a big boost to our online sales
> for a bit. Sadly, the luck of the draw meant that the reviewers at
> the two big US print magazines didn't like the game (they were in
> fact about the two least favorable reviews of all those I've seen).
> --
>
> David Dunham A Sharp david_at_...
> Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
> Spare no expense to make everything as economical as possible --Samuel
Goldwyn

Aye, huge impact top magazine will make. I used to subscribe to CGW (still have the 100th anniversary issue) and PC Gamer, and generally will agree with their reviews. Some sharp-tounge like Martin Cirulis used to be a great read at the back cover section. Har har about the Russel slime-joke in Ultima Online as a shrine to their influence.

Such a pity those are days gone by. Even the founder of CGW left for Microprose and ended getting bought again. Nowadays, huge site like Gamespot garners the most impact. Unfortunately, mostly for FPS and real-time strategy genres. Heck, imagine some folks treats turn-based strategy game like some kinda infectious disease. I dont think Civ 3 generate sales as high as they should be in days gone by.

Those that might be willing to fork out more dough, gets the most reward when the risk paid-out. As all risky venture, there are winners and losers. Hmm why dont someone contact those Nokia millionaires or point their way right through here. I bet some of them might be playing KoDP at some time or another too. $200k really aint mean nothing to them when they earn 10 million annually. The maintainance fees for their cars, houses and babysitters alone already overshoot that mark, hehe.