Re: advice feedback, a question, and a comment

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:25:31 -0800

Bryan tests alternative

> Overall, these different ways seem to work OK, but not distinctly
> better than my more usual choices. However, they do give me more
> options, and some of them will no doubt be appropriate for certain
> clans.

I think you've identified the game's good point and bad point -- it's not totally deterministic. There is seldom one best choice in a scene, and seldom one that can't work. There's usually something up to chance (Murphy's Law exists in Glorantha, after all). On the other hand, you can influence things by having a well-picked ring (since someone from the ring has to execute your choice).

So you can pick a response and have it fail one time and not the next. As a consequence, it can be difficult to understand what's going on. This is a bad point. However, this is also more realistic, and allows more replay (since you don't just learn to always choose the third option when the dwarf shows up). That's a good point.

> It is slowly dawning on me what an incredible amount of work went
> into scripting
> this thing

There are more words of text in the game than in a typical novel. And yes, we spent a lot of effort polishing the scripts (QA tested each branch of each scene).

--

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com