Re: Perfect Title for a perfect game

From: kentcave <kentcave_at_...> <kentcave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:59:13 -0000

> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:00:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Why KoDP is not popular?
>
> But you know, I suspect this might actually touch on part of KoDP's
> problem. Descriptive as the name is, I would never have picked up a
> game called that off the shelf if I didn't know what it was about.
It
> seems that most things these days with 'dragon' in the title are bad
> schlock fantasy, and throwing 'king' in just makes it seems like you
> should have delusions of gradeur. Over all I could imagine people
> passing it over as a cheap attempt at a Conan type knock-off,
instead
> of the sublime creation that it is. This is not to slag the name at
> all, it is a great name for people who know Glorantha, which had to
be
> the inital target audience for the game.
>
> Maybe this is part of why it does so well in Finland, maybe the
title
> translates with a different feel to it?
>
> --Bryan

On the other hand, I think the title King of Dragon Pass suits the game to a
tee.

I'm sure the company has put a lot of discussion sessions and brainstorming

thoughts to finally decide on the title. It's truly crucial in the larger
point of view. Luckily they didnt stop at Opal. Only Australians will feels
warm with that, hehe.

In fact, the catchy title was what attracts me in the first place. Let's
see, King - it denotes a strategy game (in the tradition of classic 4X games
like "Master" of Orion/Magic, "Emperor" of Fading Suns, "Conquest" of New
Worlds, "Dominions" etc). It perfectly conveys the idea that the game is
about "delusions of grandeur", as most strategy games, in fact is, in the
bare-bones skeleton.

Then let's see about Dragon - it reflects to the general public that the
game is about Fantasy and most probably an adventure or role-playing game.
Following the tradition of great games like Age of "Wonders", Heroes of
"Might and Magic", "Wizardry", "Civilizations", etc. It just gives folks the
feeling that this is an exotic and traditional game, hence familiarity breeds understanding, leading to lowering of defenses to impulse buying.

From the title alone, people should be able to picture what genre the game
is all about. King of Dragon Pass - a Strategy/Role-Playing Game. The origin
of the name might be as simple as being borrowed from the boardgame or as
complex as being thought up by a contracted marketing guru. It just ooze
professionality in the overall broad sense.

Of course, Feathered Horse Queen and Luminuos Stallion King can be as catchy
too, hehe. In fact Hero Quest will do just fine, if not for the copyrights
conflict with Sierra. What a wonderful execution of interactive novel with
resource management sims thrown in to boot. Encore! Encore!

Then again, some nit-picking folks like few of my friends complained that
how come its Dragon Pass and "not" Dragon's Pass? Some complained about the
annoying music/sound effects, while I just love the bagpipes/highlander
theme of it all. Some prefer abstract Picasso pieces rather than traditional
paintings like whats shown in KoDP, while I think Picasso art is just kindergaten kids having fun with rulers and colors. I adores Salvador Dali
though while Van Gough feels like crayon har har.

There.. everything is just personal taste. That's why we are living in a
crazy world that is rulez by marketing folks. I hate the fact that you have
to fork out such an insane amount of money just to promote the game, that in
fact it cost more than the initial capital used to develop the game. It
started when one guy have too much money and too ambitious that he practically floods the market with his products, leading the rest to follow
up or be left behind. Fair play, justice and honour has gone down the drain
since the start of this century. The winning combatants always re- write
history to favour them.

Marketing budget "really" determine whether you are a has-been, a wannabe or
an idol. We might hate it to the bone, but currently it works best.. so we
either have to swallows our principle and stains our honour or take the next
flight to Alpha Centauri. If you cant beat them.. join them! I will kill
myself before I become a liberal conformist, Urox bless my horns! _at_,-p

"May we live in interesting times.." - a chinese curse