Doing it the proper way 12 years on

From: Chris <zcore_uk_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:36:34 -0000

Ha, Ha, after three attempts I managed to complete the heroquest and form a tribe. The basic bread and butter of running a clan is quite achievable and I've had no dire (fingers crossed) events so far over about 13 years to deter the no save option. It's just being a good administrator and keeping an eye on those goods, you see an MBA helps playing computer games too!

I was surprised how lightly I got off with failing two heroquests. The quester (clan chief) survived, he just didn't got the desired result after the "correct" answers. I have a feeling one failed attempt prompted the troll attack that winter. The third try and I just breezed through(lol orlanthi breeze get it!).

Creation of a tribe was quite trouble free although I'm a sucker and save up loads of goods so I can gift/bribe prospective clans. The greatest concern was the agreement to wage war on the beastmen. It will all end in tears I'm sure.

Now for the bad news. Yeah one year after a successful tribe creation and an issaries heroquest (which I find is the easiest one rather than the LM knowledge god quest) I decided to go on another quest. circumstances had prompted a "cow" quest as I had a 61 year old grannie with a renowned magic skill. Heck she'll probably not last too many seasons so a suicidal "cow" quest might work. A high risk strategy. At practically every station I seemed to fail and granny lost loads of blood, yet, she survived the failed quest!

I know KoDP wasn't the commercial success the authors had hoped for. However, after doing the no save option this time I sure wanted to try another Gloranthan/Runequest/KoDP II. Would've been fun to do the same in a yelmalian/sun country setting say be a rabbit hat farmer. Sorry if the last paragraph doesn't make any sense to non runequest players. Think sun country, arid country and you're from a puritanical sun/light worshipping culture who think the orlanthi are barbarians whilst you wander about like a greek hoplite.