Proof of playing too much KoDP

From: Miikka R. <ryokas_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:46:15 -0000

Ladies, gentlemen and you three in the back row, the following is a true story.

Having completed my download of the King of Dragon Pass disc image to replace the original copy I seem to have lost (and this is perfectly legal, so neener) I promptly embarked on a binge. It wasn't much of a shock to discover that I still had all the heroquests memorized; that sort of thing comes to me easily. Some hours later, I had taken a far rockier ride than usual, including a reload when every single combatant in my clan was unexpectedly slaughtered and the rest conquered, to become King of Dragon Pass, and then unsuccesfully tried to force myself to do schoolwork until about 4 AM. Then I went to bed, now highly uncomfortable due to an uncomfortable case of flu, and set my alarm clock to go off four hours later in order not to miss the cafeteria's breakfast time. This /is/ going somewhere.

Four hours later, I wake up, now both sleep-deprived and very groggy from reclutantly waking up, in addition of having the flu hammer on my consciousness. I go through the usual phases of who-am-I, where-am-I, only my head's crammed full of Orlanthi. So, I notice that I've somehow got a nosebleed. Groan, scramble to the edge of the bed, get a handkerchief, wait, replace handkerchief, go to the toilet etc, notice that the bleeding doesn't seem to be stopping (it was) - it should be stopped, of course, the thing's contagious and we don't want to have the entire clan catching it, don't we? - so what to do? Natural answer: Request aid from Chalana Arroy.

At this point I must've looked completely hilarious. I was back in bed, probably with my eyes closed but sitting up, and I started actually reaching out to the front of me, making grabbing and poking motions at thin air. What was I doing? Well, it's obvious - I was moving the sliders and pressing the buttons! Scroll the list up to find Chalana, select Chalana, push 'Sacrifice'. Right, check that the right effect is selected, grab the 'goods' slider, move it up to sixteen, press the button to commit the action.

The bleed stopped eventually, and after convincing myself that Storm People are not relevant in any way (which, I think, was half an hour after I first woke up) I started my day, feeling kind of weird.