Re: OT- Runequest Lives

From: Martin Gallo <martimer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:18:34 -0500

Scary and cool news indeed!!

For what it is worth, here is what I sent in:

Please do not try to convert this wonderful game to a D20 model. The feats and other munchkin effects will only detract heavily from the elegance of the system and its environment (Glorantha). The late great Avalon Hill Game Company tried to separate the game from its surce material awhile streamlining play. It almost worked, but failed by messing up some of the symmetry and rules. The 'heart' came out of the whole and became VERY expensive to add back in. I realize that since your business model relies heavily on supplements, I will not get part of my request, but could you at least not go D20.

What made the game great to me was a wonderful and rational (within itself) game world which blended well with the game mechanics, emphasizing what an individual character could do and become. Advancement was mostly based on merit and accomplishment and had self imposed limits. It felt more real and understandable to me. Sure, combat could be a little slow with all the dice rolling, but that mostly seemed to enhance the danger and tension of a stressful situation - combat is supposed to be tense. About the only thing I would like to see changed is for some sort of rules for situations with more than 1-on-1 situations or where more than a few characters are involved to offer the option of speeding things up.

The use of the cults to generate stories, campaigns and game sessions was a wonderful touch of genius. The meld of character and NPC races lended credibility to the whole. Not being tied so heavily to Tolkein was wonderful for those of us who are not Tolkein fans. As I mentioned previously, the game world is most likely going to be marketed separately, but it seems important to at least include the basic idea as part of the rules. This means the races, cults and geography/political environment need to be present.

I would be happy to help as a proofreader, but am unable to do much more for now. I have no current RPG group (my loss).

On Jul 4, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Sean wrote:

> Hey just to let you know that Mongoose publishing has announced that
> they will be releasing a new edition of Runequest next year and want
> fan input! Follow this link to the forum discussion and the designers
> email address and let them know what we want!! TO Arms!!!!!
>
> http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=201322
>
> Sean O. Stone
> The Stonegiant
>

> Community e-mail addresses:
> Post message: KingOfDragonPass_at_onelist.com
> Subscribe: KingOfDragonPass-subscribe_at_onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: KingOfDragonPass-unsubscribe_at_onelist.com
> List/archive URL:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/KingOfDragonPass
> Yahoo! Groups Links

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Love is a full time job, with fringe benefits.

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."