Re: - Hinterland

From: Henk Langeveld <henk_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 03:28:38 +0200

I picked up Hinterland from Steam today. It's a fun game, but with not much depth (at least compared to kodp). I just played my first two games and although the first one did not last longer than fifteen minutes due to lack of food, my second game took quite a bit longer.

In the game you control one character, as in an RPG. You start with a town hall, and three visitors, who may have various skills. Visitors stay around for a number of days, and if your town hits their fancy, you can build a house for them after which they will become followers and set up shop in your town.

Your objective is to scout the area around your town and eliminate any enemies. It's the typical RPG - kill monsters, take their stuff. The fun thing is the variety of goods you can find. You don't get to keep everything yourself, but you can distribute the goods among your followers, providing them with upgrades. Beware though, as goods decay or just plainly used up - a cattle herder can get improved production through Oats, but only for a while...

This might be turned into a Gloranthan game by adding magical treasures, monsters, and the like. Don't know if the game would make that possible. Right now, the monsters are quite generic fantasy tropes - dwarfs, dark elves, evil wizards, etc...

What I had hoped for was the possibility to fight with/raid other towns, but that's maybe too much to ask for...

Cheers,

Henk