Re: Open source?

From: outis02 <ulyssez_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 07:57:44 -0000

For my part, I'd love nothing more than to have a look at the KoDP source code. I hope A# seriously consider this possibility. They have little to lose on this, really. The opal engine itself is largely obsolete, and it is pretty difficult as is to get your hands on the mTropolis compilers. As such, I don't think making KoDP open source would have any negative impact on the sales at all. Anyone who won't pay for KoDP is extremely unlikely to go through the trouble of compiling the code, if they are even able to. If they're really worried, they could simply make it a no-compile license.

Quite on the contrary, publishing the source code would be a very generous contribution to those interested in game design and Glorantha in general. The buzz it generates will probably score KoDP some resurgent sales. Plus, I seriously doubt that anyone interested in the source code hasn't already bought a copy and played it to death.