Re: Simplifying King of Dragon Pass

From: waferthinninja <waferthinninja_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:07:54 -0000

I think most existing fans consider its complexity to be a good thing. A simplified version for the casual market probably wouldn't appeal to people who love the game as it is.

You could pare down quite a few things without losing much though. Off the top of my head:

- lose the grain type sliders (I almost never move these)
- lose the patrol sliders (I always forget to move these)
- automate slaughter if there is a food shortfall
- lose pigs and sheep and horses entirely/abstract to "livestock"
- lose the ability to set number of crafters, hunters etc
- in general, lose sliders and replace with discrete choices
- in general, reduce the amount of options the player has
- simplify choices e.g. instead of choosing who to trade with, how large to make the caravan, how many guards to send etc, just click "trade" to spend an "action" trading.

If the goal is to create a "casual" game though, I would say start from the ground up rather than trying to hack bits off the existing game until it fits into the casual space. KoDP just isn't a casual game.