Re: Re: Simplifying King of Dragon Pass

From: James Sterrett <James.Sterrett_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:16:54 -0500

> There's at least one on this list. Me. I'd heard of RuneQuest before I
> bought KoDP, but I hadn't heard much. All I knew was that it was an RPG
> with a hellishly complicated magic system. Come to think of it, I think
> that's still all I know about it, except of course that it's set in the
> same world as KoDP. :)

And a third. :)

The game being Gloranthan -- the "Think like an Orlanthi" angle -- is a barrier to entry *but also* one of the best things about the game.

As a barrier, it's certainly surmountable, and the game works hard on teaching you what you need to know, through all the various descriptions, comments, and bits of advice. Well before they get to reading the myths and secrets screens, players will likely have absorbed a lot of mythic & cultural knowledge by osmosis.

--
James Sterrett
james.sterrett_at_...