Re: Simplifying King of Dragon Pass

From: outis02 <uly_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:58:40 -0000

> > On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 19:22 -0700, David Dunham wrote:

> >> I don't have percentages, but I know a fair number of players had
> >> never been exposed to the setting before playing KoDP. And most of
> >> them seemed to appreciate Glorantha.

Put me on that list, too.

Ultimately, I think everyone who stuck around with KoDP love it for, not in spite, of its complexity.

One of the great part about this complexity is that it permits a variety of play styles. If reducing complexity means reducing options, it may not be an improvement in the end. For example, if the farmland management system is eliminated, it would certainly reduce complexity at the cost of strategic options. On the other hand, if the player is given the option to automate the management to certain extent, such as setting specific parameters for auto-adjustement, the complexity is maintained but the operation simplified.

Just as a though, I've always wanted the ability to "delegate" some of the strategies. If I could, for example, delegate farming, or crafting, or feasting, to one or more ringmembers, it would add to the role playing aspect of the game while streamlining the gameplay at the same time.