Re: Open source

From: Michael Akinde <michael.yahoo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:22:59 +0200

Chris Lemens skrev:
> All:
>
> Here's my question to those promoting the idea that David should make KoDP open source:
>
> How does David make any money at that?
>
> Chris Lemens

Speaking as an open-source developer (and hobby games programmer), my answer is: he probably won't.

Sure, the initial buzz might drive a few people to purchase the game, but it takes serious out of the box thinking to make money on an open-source game. There is no doubt some genius business model somewhere for making money on open-sourcing a game, but I've never heard of any projects doing so successfully.

If, on the other hand, A-Sharp feel that they have made the money they need to off the game and/or they reach the point where they no longer feel the revenue generated is worth the effort of supporting the game (I suspect that point has not yet been reached), then open-sourcing is a much better alternative than to quietly letting the game slip into oblivion. As I noted in an earlier post, it would be a nice gift to the fan community. They could release the source code without (most of) the art assets, since those are presumably seperate revenue objects (merchandising, etc). If needed, make it a dual license scheme (split free and commercial use) so that anyone who feels like making a commercial port of the game could do so and pay licensing fees to A-Sharp.

In the best case, of course, someone ports the game engine to Java or similar language, allowing A-Sharp to utilize the new game engine to release a KODP2, etc., etc. But whether or not anyone actually does anything with the code is irrelevant to the discussion about whether open-sourcing or not is a good idea, though.

Regards,

Michael A.

P.S. Add me to the likely large list of people who came to KODP without any prior knowledge of Glorantha. I came for the unique gameplay, and those are the reason why I still play the game from time to time.