Re: Open source

From: Kaj Sotala <xuenay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:56:01 +0300

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:46 PM, waferthinninja<waferthinninja_at_...> wrote:
> Open source != free. A-Sharp would still sell the game, and certainly whilst
> it was not compilable, the number of sales would be >= the sales they
> currently get. If just the code was released and you needed a copy of the
> original game for the graphic and sound assets, then it could still generate
> sales into the future.

One extra reason for why making it partially open source might improve sales: increased compatibility with newer systems. For instance, while KoDP does run on my Windows XP, I've been unable to make it run so that it'd also have sound. Trying to play KoDP without the wonderful in-game soundtrack feels like it's butchering the experience, which is the reason I haven't played the game nearly at all in a while.