KODP Flash (Spoilers included)

From: jimr1199 <jamesreisman_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:27:41 -0000

  I finished another 6-8 weeks or so of playing KODP. I've played it on and off for the last decade, and will likely put it away for a couple more years. This is sort of an sum-up of suggested improvements, in hopes that KODP doesn't disappear in another decade's time.

  It seems that it is unlikely that there will ever be a KODP II. The main barrier is the cost of content creation. Each image and new script cost money to generate, so a new setting seems unlikely. Coding that does not require creative additions can be relatively cheaper (cheap offshore or 3rd party if necessary).

   One hope would be to create an FLASH version of KODP I, and if that is a success, consider future versions. The computational overhead for KODP is quite low, and FLASH is it's own built in copy protection.

  The main barriers to KODP is that it has a large manual. A flash game should be more or less intuitive with no manual to speak of. But there are ways to get around this:

-  The Clan Ring can act as a instructional delivery system. Increase Clan comments on appropriate actions in the Easy game especially.
-  Complex elements can be simplified, without removing strategy.
-  There are a number of fiddly bits one can remove.

Big Changes Required:

Heroquest System:
- The HQ system has always been one of the most problematic elements for me. It requires alot of note taking a trial and error, but once you got it "done" the strategy never changes much between games.

Removing Fiddly Bits:

Unrelated Game play Improvements:

Late Game Play improvements: