Re: KODP Flash (Spoilers included)

From: jimr1199 <jimr1199_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:35:47 -0000

  I did read the other thread. Alot of the ideas there are sensible. My main thrust was how to make games of this type into casual/web games. I think KODP is well suited to it, and there is a growing distribution system for Flash/web games nicely bypassing copy protection overhead too.

    Also I wanted to talk about what actual might be possible to progress KODP (or it's ilk), instead of looking at it retrospectively.

   What do you think the work effort would be to make a web-version of KODP? Design via subtraction should be more financial possible than adding content

As to other comments:

  When I started playing KODP, I didn't know it's relationship to orthodox Glorantha. If you aim to make a more accessable game with a wider audience, most people won't either.

  The different myth ending shouldn't violate internal logic. Elmal doesn't need to become Barntar, but variations in how he defeats the chaos creatures between game to game (requiring some strategy on the player's part to devoting effort for finding the "true" myth or risking HQs where the true ending isn't 100% known) might give back some depth and replayablity when simplifying the text heavy memorization portions for a web version.

  I wouldn't suggest having advisors available for HQs. But they are a nice natural hook to feeding game play knowledge if a big manual is no longer an option.

  Regarding spoilers: Since I was highlighting some end-game strategies, that might be consider a spoiler.. rather risk being too conservative than too revealing in that regard.