Trading routes

From: outis02 <uly_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:09:28 -0000

After many games, I still don't quite get the trading system; either it's way too complex or super basic.

Firstly, is there any difference who you establish trade routes with? Does the partner clan's wealth/strength, distance, reputation, etc. have any effect on the trade's profitability?

Is there any collateral effect from trade routes? Does it increase your diplomatic relation, reputation, or anything else. Personally I have not noticed any such effects.

How is trade profit calculated? Is it per-traderoute, or is it ranked based on the "frequency" of the market (i.e. yearly/monthly/weekly)?

I'm assuming that the clan has a "trade attractiveness" value--this is hinted by the game text but cannot be verified from save file. Aside from the special goods (gems, clay) and possibly wheat, what affects this value?

Further, in all of my games, I've only lost trade routes due to not being "attractive enough" a handful of times. Is it worth bothering trying to be more attractive? Does higher actractiveness increase profit as well?

Hope some of you can answer these questions.