Re: Sleazy Weaponthane Tricks

From: Kaj Sotala <xuenay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 19:13:08 +0300

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...> wrote:
> Actually, something that I don't expect to get changed, but I'll mention it....if you play fairly well, the long game gets boring at the end.  Typically I find that by the time I'm tribal king, my clan has a couple of years supply of food, hundreds of cows worth of goods, large herds, good amounts of land (have usually displaced a neighboring feuding clan by then), solid defenses, well trained leaders, etc.

I actually *like* this aspect of the game. I get to spend a long time gradually building up my resources and generally just trying to survive, and then gradually I'm rewarded for my efforts as things get easier. In the end I don't need to worry too much, but can just enjoy the events and show off my superior might to all the other clans, which feels just like it should be.

This is probably related to the fact that I've always found the story as told by the events to be the most enjoyable aspect of the game. While micromanaging the clan is definitely also fun, it's the events that really make the game great. Consequently, being given a period at the end where I basically don't need to do any management and can just make interesting choices feels like I'm getting a juicy reward. I'm guessing that you find the management aspects a lot more intrinsically enjoyable than I do.