Re: KoDP Achievements

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 08:34:28 -0800

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

> I've always felt ambivalent toward "achievements". Instead of really rewarding creative play, it simply formalizes it and in fact deprive the player from being creative on her own. Now instead of bragging about "I survived the beastmen invasion!", it becomes merely "I got the blahblah achievement."

From our perspective, the idea is to encourage replay, and to be a way you can share with your friends. It's also a way to show how much depth the game has.

However, Game Center achievements can be hidden until you earn them, so I am currently thinking the apocalypses won't be there in a list to try to shoot for. Same with storylines such as Kallyr the Hero.

> Of course, KoDP is a game where some of these weird feats would and should be heavily punished by design. KoDP really isn't a game that reward gratuitous extremes. Still, I would be happy to see a "King Arsehole of Dragon Pass" achievement: this recognizes and awards consistent assholery is rightly rewarded, where the clan chooses to piss others off at every opportunity.

I don't expect to have achievements that are counter to the game, such as this or excessive conquest.

> As to the original topic: Most mobile/XBox games use achievements to "unlock" stuff, such as scenarios, maps, or character classes. I don't see how that would work in KoDP. (What would you unlock, and not destroy the game?)

I haven't seen enough Game Center achievements, but I don't think that's typical on iOS. And I'm definitely not adding new game mechanics for this!

David Dunham http://a-sharp.com Twitter: _at_KingDragonPass