Re: Heroquest tuning

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:56:16 -0700

> Maybe you could make the number of hints depend on other things as well. The one
> that comes to mind is whether you sent an appropriate person on the heroquest.
> In other Gloranthan games, you usually send a crowd, but KoDP abstracts this by
> selecting a single heroquester. So, you might have to send your Elmali thane on
> the heroquest to even get one hint; after all, he's the one who knows these
> kinds of things. Maybe some of the treasures give another hint. Having the right
> kind of person as your chief might do the trick, too.

We've discussed stuff like this here, but I'm not sure it solves making heroquests more approachable for the player -- they would then have to worry about more factors. (Granted, some of them factors they should already be worrying about.)

A secondary goal is to reinforce the Gloranthan idea that myths are a map to heroquests. While I've only looked at the Orlanth and Aroka myth in detail, only half the decisions can be guided from the myths. The rest represent some form of "heroquest surprise" (which is also Gloranthan). Anyway, from a game standpoint, I don't really want to provide 3 hints when there are only three hintable choices!

> Yes, I use app-switching as a matter of course, multiple windows in browsers, multiple PDF readers open, etc.

Oddly, I'd forgotten that you can use iBooks on an iPod -- I do all that sort of reading on an iPad (sometimes with DiceBook).

David Dunham http://a-sharp.com Twitter: _at_KingDragonPass