Re: Re: To dig up an old question.....any chance of an Android port?

From: Kaj Sotala <xuenay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:26:37 +0300

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM, James Casey <waferthinninja_at_...> wrote:
> Even if you have no interest in doing it yourselves, is it something that
> could be outsourced?

They've mentioned being open to licensing it to someone else, but haven't found any takers so far:

http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com/2011/10/android-thoughts.html

"A Sharp has no expertise in Android development. In theory, we could get someone else to do it. However, they would no doubt want to be paid. (Coding 40 screens is a lot of work, if I haven’t mentioned that.) Since King of Dragon Pass is a proven product with a good reputation, it might make sense for someone to do this for royalties. However, the studio we talked to mentioned that Android users are notorious for not being willing to pay for anything. (They do both iOS and Android.) So given the scope of the project, they were not interested."

"The alternative is to pay someone prior to release (and thus take on the risk of Android users living up to their notoriety). If King of Dragon Pass had become a smash hit, the risk would be less, and there would be more money to pay for the development. Unfortunately, King of Dragon Pass is probably among the top 25% of games by revenue, but it is not a smash hit."