Re: Re: Who hit the Bat?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:30:54 +0000 (GMT)

> > Downloaded your files and read through them, and
> > noticed that you seem to explicitly stop Kallyr
> having
> > any part in the Bat-slaying: her "arrival" is
> > mentioned happening later.
>
> Shows how sloppy some of my thinking is at this
> point. :)

Just an unintended consequence that you overlooked. These things happen, and are one of the reasons for making this a group effort.

> Kallyr's arrival and departure are both dated by
> OID, p 11. She
> spends most of 1619 among the Quivini, then winters
> in Whitewall, and
> stay there for early and middle 1620. She then heads
> back to the
> Quivini, and is there when the city falls.
>
> So that's fixed.

OK. We just need reasons for all of this, which may come out in time, and many of which probably aren't related to Whitewall at all. Events in Sartar will be of more interest to her, after all.

> My thinking for the Bat was...its kind of on standby

> for the long-planned invasion,.. But of course
> if that were true, then it would
> have been there just a few DAYS after the initial
> assault.

Sounds like a nasty case of Lunar politics to me. "We're ready: send in the Bat!"
"Sorry, you should have given ten seasons notice, it's out of service for annual maintenance."

> I've no particular preference either way at this
> stage. Do we want to
> give Broyan all the glory for the bat-blat?

Who did it, and who gets the glory, are two different things.

I know of a few bits of (personal campaign) story that assume Kallyr was at least involved in the Bat-blat, if not leading it, so I think ruling her out this early may well be a bad idea. Let's keep options open.

> Does Kallyr's power and
> leadership become apparent only as the siege wears
> on,

According to the OiD write-up, she's already extremely powerful, and has been known for it for some time. So I'm not sure.

> gradually
> eclipsing her friend and former master, and possibly
> generating leadership tensions?

Tensions are good.... quite possibly Broyan and Kallyr get on fine, but their *followers* compete?

> (Kallyr served Broyan 'personally' in 1617
> according to OID.)

And according to KoS as I recall, and the Glorantha book, and...

> Or does her star shine from the very beginning,
> helping out her old buddy to make the bat skat?

Possibly she's a great individual hero, but lousy as a leader of more than a small group? See 1613 for examples :) If you wanted someone to run both characters, you'd have a roleplayer for Kallyr and a wargamer for Broyan. At this stage, anyway. By 1625 she seems to have learnt a lot.

> (On a more general point, how will we resolve
> differences like this?
> I'm coming at this relatively fresh, though a bit
> obsessively: I know
> many of the issues have been considered in depth by
> some of you over several years.

I'd say we (whoever "we" is) discuss it like rational adults and try to reach a consensus. As long as we're all willing to say "nice idea, better than mine" whenever needed, there shouldn't be a problem.

> Do we want to build a concensus model,
> or mark certain areas for multiple interpretations?)

Yes. A mix of those two. Pointing out consequences of the variants (like I just did!)

Jane Williams