RE: Re: Who hit the Bat?

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:58:10 -0800

Jane -
> > Yeah.  Any ideas about what Kallyr's "personal service" to King
> > Broyan was?  Was she part of his ring?
> I doubt it, if only because it raises questions about why she
> ( presumably) left it. Comparing their stats gives me no clues. Maybe
> she just brought a lot of troops with her?

Yeah. She probably brought some troops with her and probably some members of the Ring of Sartar. Maybe Minaryth the Purple provided some heroquesting advice? Although I still think that she may have served King Broyan in some manner - perhaps as his champion or as a warleader?

>> Sure - I just would recommend against her being the central figure
>>  in the Bat-blat.

> Fine. I don't insist on her being prominent, or even particularly
> effective. Just "there".

Works for me.

> Charisma, perhaps. She can get people to follow her. Figuring out
> what to tell them to do thereafter is a separate problem.

Yeah, although Broyan is apparently "even more" inspiring (4M3 to 1M3). She is tighter with her followers than Broyan.

> AFAIK Harrek doesn't show up until some time after Whitewall.

True. I just meant that we already have a full A&A situation with those two. Does our Sartarsaga need multiple A&A?

> In fact, maybe this is why Kallyr wanders off before it's all over:
> she can see that she's accidentally stealing Broyan's glory, and
> leaves so as to give him a free hand?

I don't think so - I think Broyan was always the senior leadership figure out Whitewall. His authority as High King and "Last Free King" is not threatened by Kallyr IMO. It seems to me that she has her loyal followers (the Iron Ring) - who are very useful and very loyal - but she does not have the widespread identification as "Last Free King" that Broyan enjoys. On the other hand, Broyan has no interest in Sartar per se - he's fighting for the Orlanthi themselves.

That seems to be a difference between Broyan and Kallyr. Broyan - assuming he is trying to bring the on the Great Darkness so that it may be defeated - appears to identify his cause with that of all the Orlanthi in Glorantha. Kallyr seems more focused on Sartar. She failed in her first bid to lead the High Council of Sartar (and made plenty of enemies in that process - and not just Lunar enemies), her involvement with Broyan and Whitewall, I think helps her greatly in expanding her appeal beyond the Iron Ring, the Vingans and the Kheldon.

 >( And perhaps to attack the

> Lunars from the outside? OiD gives her 2W2 in guerilla warfare, not
> sieges.)

 This sounds right to me. Maybe Kallyr was Broyan's Javelin?

 Jeff