RE: K v B

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:02:09 -0800

Jane:
 > >  Although I still think that she may have served
 > > King Broyan in some manner - perhaps as his champion
 > > or as a warleader?
 > I thought this, until I compared stats. Just about
 > anything she can do, he can do better. And that's in
 > OiD, later than Whitewall. Guerilla Warfare is about
 > it (see below).

Yeah, the stats that were given in OiD were strange. Who's working on the stats for Gathering Thunder?

 > Theres a mention in OiD that she "once alone
 > exterminated a tornado that was tearing up her home",
 > but stats give no idea how she might have done this.
 > "as powerful as a minor god"  - again, not according
 > to the stats. We're missing something. At least, I am.

 Presumably this has something to do with the Starbrow Gem? I frankly was a bit underwhelmed by the stats given in OiD - a generic Tarshite weaponsthane is nearly as magically powerful as Orngerin Thundercape?

>> Does our Sartarsaga need multiple A&A?
> Sure. Why not?

Personally, I find that constant repetition of the same thematic conflict in a saga to get old - at least let there be one example where things kind of work the way they are supposed to. We've already had Starbrow's Rebellion, where Kallyr, Kallai, Beneva, and Sarostip could or would not work together (only Hofstaring Treeleaper seemed to care about the big picture and he gets to suffer in a Lunar Hell).

Unless it is something in Kallyr's personality that makes her a poor subordinate. Maybe she chafes at being out of the limelight? (Forgive me, but I view Kallyr through my the lens of my own Colymar campaigns - we've been suspicious of Kallyr as a self-promoting and divisive glory-hound). Or she feels that

>>  I don't think so - I think Broyan was always the
>> senior leadership figure out Whitewall.

> In pracise, yes, and Kallyr wants to keep him that way
> (like I say, he's better at it than she is). But if we
> pick up this idea that he's deliberately setting
> things up for the *fall* of Whitewall, and
> Fimbulwinter, he's going to drop a lot of support as
> he apparently makes mistakes and loses. That support
> will be looking for an alternative leader. So rather
> than end up as the reluctant leader of the protest
> vote, Kallyr makes herself scarce.
> (shrug) Just an idea, to be fitted in amongst many
> others.

 I think this might have some potential. Let's assume that Broyan early on concludes that Whitewall will ultimately fall (perhaps after the Bat is killed and the Lunars still stay in the field) and starts putting together this massive ritual Immolation. How will folk like Kallyr react? Leika Beti (assuming she is one of Broyan's companions)? Other heroes?

Jeff