RE: K v B

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:29:51 +0000 (GMT)

> Presumably this has something to do with the
> Starbrow Gem?

The gadget with the unspecified 1W2 abilities?

> I frankly
> was a bit underwhelmed by the stats given in OiD - a
> generic Tarshite
> weaponsthane is nearly as magically powerful as
> Orngerin Thundercape?

We looked at the contest synopsis for the various hero-bands: Kallyr, Broyan, and so on. We were very worried to find that our little group of PCs (admittedly mainly Devotees of Humakt) would thrash them in a straight fight. Now, if they had any sense at all, it wouldn't *be* a straight fight, but even so! Close combat for Kallyr's group topping out at 11W2???

> Personally, I find that constant repetition of the
> same thematic conflict in a saga to get old

But Orlanthi *do* this. In fact, having Kallyr and Broyan not in conflict really will be the startling surprise!

> Unless it is something in Kallyr's personality that
> makes her a poor
> subordinate. Maybe she chafes at being out of the
> limelight?

Quite possibly, yes.

>(Forgive

> me, but I view Kallyr through my the lens of my own
> Colymar campaigns -
> we've been suspicious of Kallyr as a self-promoting
> and divisive glory-hound).

Fair description back then, I suspect, if a little biased. I still see her as an idiot who shouldn't be let out without a keeper, but a nice one.

So perhaps she's learnt from that? One hopes she learnt *something* from 1613, after all!

> I think this might have some potential. Let's
> assume that Broyan early
> on concludes that Whitewall will ultimately fall
> (perhaps after the Bat
> is killed and the Lunars still stay in the field)
> and starts putting
> together this massive ritual Immolation.

OK with me: I'll leave those more knowledgable to sort out the details.

> How will folk like Kallyr react?

"like" is a problem. Since Broyan and Kallyr continue to work together on and off for years, I don't think there's ever any major disagreement between them. Kallyr might disagree with what he's trying to do, possibly vocally, but I think she'd support him anyway. So who is "like" Kallyr? They're all individuals.

> Leika Beti (assuming she is one of Broyan's
> companions)?

That's quite an assumption. Maybe she's the hot-head who decides that Broyan's a suicidal idiot and they need a new leader?

> Other heroes?

Better go through them one by one. Or see how many responses we can invent, then invent a hero to take each one.

Jane Williams