A Suggestion On Process & Progress

From: Jimbruce <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:55:25 -0000

Wow, talk about taking off in a big way. :)

I'm about to make a general invite to the HQ lists. Give folk a day or two to sign up, then, if there's a concensus (or non-threatening silence :)) in response to this, I'll post a couple of specific issues for us to decide on.

I'm by no means an expert on the Heortland background, but it seems a lot of it is already out there, on Joerg's site and in some of the discussions. Maybe some summary links is all we need for now, and some brief notes about greggings?

I'd like to put the draft troop figures and the general phases of the siege on the table for discussion and amendment. I think if we can agree on these we'll have a good common basis to proceed. (This won't preclude us changing things later of course).

I'd also like to take a stab at naming and briefly describing key characters involved in the siege. Some are from the sources, some may be just a container at this stage - "Snotty Polarian champion, kin of Tatius, who refuses to fight a woman' - that sort of thing.

If we have drafts of these listings - overall numbers, key phases of the siege, major characters and motivations, it seems we'll have a good base to push forward, and to consult with the wargamers, military unit experts etc., and general lists.

Is there anything basic that we also should include in the groundwork?

My focus is going to be on building up the reference documents, trying to keep track of discussion outcomes and updating them as we sort through issues and possibilities. It's not gonna be easy, but it will be fun. :)

I hope I'm not being too presumptious in saying that I will be trying to try and keep a focus on outcomes - asking people to suggest specific amendments, summarise a discussion in a paragraph or two, write up character suggestions in a final-ish form, that sort of stuff. And if anyone wants to take responsibility for a specific area and drive it along- wonderful!

We may get some of the SR stats people interested. Greg's reading of the lists is pretty sporadic these days, but I've already got a note from him about B and the Bat, so I'll do what I can to get him interested.

By way of declaring interests, I'm a dedicated Kallyri, like Jane. Having some Kallyr skeptics aboard is great, and it seems we have at least one Lunar sympathiser. I'm sure there'll be more. :)

I've made all of the original invitees list moderators. Hope this is okay.

Cheers

John