Re: Re: Larnsti and other topics

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:01:03 +0000

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:58:55PM -0000, jeffrichard68 wrote:
> Which Lunars? I agree with you that Fazzur is not interested in
> Whitewall at all (other than as a possible nuisance to supply
> lines). I think that the Dara Happans (Jorkandros the Blinder,
> Tatius the Bright) had a different view of it. I think they linked
> this into their Reaching Moon Temple project (which had been ok'd by
> the Emperor back in 1580). I think the Death of Orlanth at
> Whitewall is not something that happened haphazardly - it is
> something that has been planned for a very long time, not simply
> vengeance for killing the Crimson Bat (which happens not
> infrequently - it happened at Boldhome).

I'd forgotten about Jorkandros; can I pick people's brains about what we know (or will happily speculate, just as good) about him in general, and what he's up to in 1619 in particular? Is he directly connected with the Assiday lot, or is he a different flavour? What contingent of DH forces are active in the 1619 invasion?

> What intrigues me is what myth are the Lunars trying to reenact?
> When was Orlanth (or Rebellus Terminus) killed in DH myths?

Doesn't Shargash kill (or bind?) Umatum or some such cognate(ish) entity? Close enough for mythic work.

> Also interesting is that the really creative Lunar heroquesters
> (e.g., Jar-Eel) are not involved in this. Instead, this is the
> Emperor-approved obsession of an old-school Raibanthi aristocratic
> clan (presumably the Assidays can trace themselves back to a DH
> Emperor).

Yes, utterly unreconstructed gold-lame'd Imperialism.

> > The aims of the siege will vary depending on the political
> > currents. At some stage, the nuclear option (Kill Orlanth!)
> > will be raised, quickly dismissed, raised again, debated at
> > length, dismissed again. With every setback the Lunars
> > receive at Whitewall, attitudes will harden until such a point
> > that even the doves want Orlanth dead.
>
> I disagree with this. The decision to kill Orlanth is not made as a
> result of the siege - frankly I don't think that the siege itself is
> that big of a deal in the Lunar Heartlands. Tatius' assault on
> Whitewall is the culmination of decades of planning.

I suspect there is general agreement on the overall mythic 'war aims', and to and fro on the particular strategies. That the barbarians and their god need to be 'pacified' isn't up for dispute, the where, how, and with what extremity of prejudice presumably is. (As a general tendency I'd imagine the Tarshite want to apply something vaguely like their own 'model', the DHns aren't impressed with this in the least.)

Cheers,
Alex.